Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting The Makeup Bang out of Your Buck


Buying makeup doesn't always mean you have to go out and spend a fortune. There are plenty of ways you can save a few dollars or get some items free. You might be thinking, "Yea right," but I'll have you know I'm being COMPLETELY serious. Every time I buy makeup, I'm always trying to think of 101 ways I can possibly save money on the purchase. So how can you save money too? Well...here are some helpful ideas on ways to get things cheaper, free, etc.


1) Did you know that Ulta, Walgreens, and CVS typically have, on a weekly basis, buy-one-get-one-free deals, buy-one-get-one-half-off, or buy-one-get-one-40% off deals? These specials typically run every week and will feature a number of drugstore brands. If you're not in a hurry or desperately needing something, I'd totally wait until one of these stores offers a buy-one-get-one-free deal on your makeup brand. This is how I usually stock up on all my necessities without spending a fortune.

By the way, just to show you how much you can save I'll have you know I just went to Ulta today and bought 2 Loreal mascaras and 2 Revlon Cream Eyeshadow Palettes for a total of $9.15. How did I get these 4 items for such a low price? Well it was the buy-one-get-one-free offer!

2) Signing up for those supposed stupid and annoying cards from different brands will result in coupons! You know how every store always tries to get you to sign up for their store card? (No, not the credit card but the point rewards card). Well...I highly suggest you sign up because they'll most likely send you coupons or special gifts throughout the year. Sephora will typically send a $15 voucher near Christmas time and Ulta sends $3.50-$5 coupons almost monthly.

3) Check cheaper stores or online for the same product at a lower price. I have recently started getting into false lashes and let me just say for the record, they are kind of expensive. But then the other day, I went into Wal-mart and guess what I saw? Practically the same type of lashes I buy at Ulta for nearly a dollar cheaper at Walmart! What on earth? I bet you don't go cruising the isles of Wal-mart for false lashes right? Well...you better start now then! Also, I find crazy deals on new products on e-bay and stuff. Just make sure when you buy on e-bay that it's a legit seller (will say power seller by their name) and that the item description says "new" or "in-box new".

4) If you're not a stiffer for buying specific products and just want a variety of makeup colors to play with, I suggest you buy palettes and holiday special kits. These packages will typically have a ton of eyeshadows, cheek colors, and lip glosses all in a convenient box for a reasonable price. In fact, I've been looking at Sephora's online store and found over a dozen special deals. I am contemplating getting the Tarte Treasure Chest which includes 32 full sized eyeshadows, 16 lip glosses, a bronzer, a luminizer and 4 blushes for $52. I know that sounds like a lot but...have you ever checked out how much a single eyeshadow color costs from a name-brand company? Anywhere from $14-$25 dollars! So trust me when I say these kits and palettes are REALLY a great deal.

5) Do you know about cheaper brands that have the same quality as department store brands? Have you guys heard of NYX cosmetics? Well if you haven't, you better start researching it because this is an alternative brand that a lot of makeup artists use. It offers great quality eyeshadows and pretty much everything else for really cheap prices. I personally have bought eyeshadows, lipsticks, and lip liners from this brand and can say that I would definitely recommend it. How cheap is cheap? Well...are you going to find anywhere else that has a 10 color eyeshadow palette for only $9 dollars? Or what about very pigmented lipsticks starting at $3.50? Yea...didn't think so.

6) If you never buy drugstore makeup, might I say you're missing out?! No, really you are! Did you know that many drugstore brands are branches of department store companies? Also, drug store brands are always striving to match the quality of department stores so there are ALWAYS items at CVS, Walgreens, etc. that are the practically the same product as department store items. I want to add here that they mimic them well! For example, if you love Laura Mercier's concealer pot...then why don't you try Neutrogena's concealer pot? They are pretty much the same thing, speaking from personal experience, but Neutrogena's is half the price of the Laura Mercier pot. The only negative I can think of is that drugstores will have less variety as far as colors and shades go, but hell when you save about 50%, I'm sure we ALL can make do with less color choices.

So anyway, I really hope this helps all of you. Especially the college students out there who need to save every last penny. I'm in the exact same boat as you so I know what I'm talking about when I find good deals.


No comments:

Post a Comment