Friday, February 13, 2009

What's On My Makeup Counter

Hello all, I know I said I was going to post a Valentines look by today, Thursday, but I didn't have time to do a look and take pictures because this week has been really hectic for me. So, instead of giving you a crappy drawing of the steps or a summary of what to do, I'm going to hold off that post and turn it into a "Romantic Date" look tutorial. I really apologize if this affects anyone's plans but I really thought/wanted to post something special and just got bogged down with school. 

With the apology aside, today I wanted to do something fun. I am going to list and post my top 10 products that are on my makeup counter. I have tried and tested these products and can't see myself without them. These days, advertising is so awesome that every time you flip open a magazine or turn on the TV, you see billions of ads for products that'll literally "change your life" by making your skin better, prettier, natural, etc. You know you give in. . . and get suckered. I sure do! I found myself slaving over pictures of MAC's Dame Edna and Hello Kitty releases all to no avail because the products I wanted, the highlighters/face powders, were crappy (and that's being generous!). So. . . what I'm trying to say here is that sometimes, the best products are the ones that you've had for years and continue to buy. Don't go spending a wad of cash on something with pretty packaging or with an abundance of advertisement. Half of the time, it's all just hype. Try to ask people/friends for product recommendations. Do some research and read people's reviews of the products. These are all steps that'll make your purchases worth it, when you do decide to buy. So anyway, maybe you'll try one of my top 10 products on my counter. I chose them because I think they're universally skin friendly or economical.

In no specific order. . .

1. Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer for all Skin Types, SPF 15: What can I say? Every girl needs to moisturize. I chose this one because I don't want the extra knick-knacks that often come with moisturizers like a rose scent or some glitter and what not. I bought this specifically because it was a plain-jane moisturizer that works. It's a little shiny on the skin because of the SPF agents but I like the glowy look anyway. If you don't want the shine, just use a matte cream on top such as Smashbox Matte Primer or some cornsilk powder (cheap stuff, but works!).

2. MAC Barbie Edition Beauty Powder in Pearl Blossom: I bought this thing several years ago and still have it! I absolutely adore this beauty powder because I use it as an all-over highlighter. It gives me the glowy/dewy look that I love. I wish I had bought like 15 of these when they were sold because I don't know what I'm going to do without it! AHHH the woes of limited edition stuff! I think I'm going to try out the MAC Blonde, Brunette, Redhead Collection Mineral Skin Finish in either Blonde or Brunette. They are about 28 dollars, which is a little too pricey for a highlighter but I think it's totally worth it if it's of good quality! I don't know if it'll ever match the quality and color of the Barbie one, but for now I think that'll have to do.

3. Olay Anti-Wrinkle Nutrients Night Renewal Cream: Forget the pricey night creams and serums that'll cost you a fortune, go for this cream. It makes your skin feel so supple and smooth in the morning. I did a review on it already, so check my older posts for more info. I will absolutely be getting this again when I run out. I would try Olay Regenerist but I don't know if it's worth it the extra 7 or something dollars since this current cream works so well already.

4. University Medical AcneFree 3 step kit: I tried Proactiv twice and that didn't seem to work. I thought about giving up on the 3 step programs in general until a friend told me she switched to AcneFree because it was half the cost of Proactiv but stronger. So. . . I tried it and it's been working fairly well. I mean I have to admit I didn't expect miracles because nothing will completely cure acne but it did seem to lessen the number of breakouts. I use it only once a day, in the morning before my makeup and stuff. You'll need a moisturizer after you apply step 3 because the kit makes your skin really dry. In general, I can't say that this will work for everyone but if it's only 20 dollars, I think it's worth a shot.

5. Eye-lash curler: I don't know what brand this curler is but I'm sure I got it as apart of a free-gift from some department cosmetic store. I think eye-lash curlers are a necessity because they make my asian lashes . . . CURL. No really, it's good for any and all types of people because it'll open up your eyes before you put on mascara. 

6. Neutrogena Skin Clearing Oil-Free Concealer: This product is great and it's cheap. I use it to cover up old acne scars and any other facial blemishes. I typically apply it with a concealer brush. Once I put this stuff on, it's like my blemishes disappear. I have tried other expensive concealers but I still stick with this one because, quite frankly, I'm not a beauty expert and I just don't have time to freaking blend concealer colors. What on earth is that about? Seriously. . . I just swipe this stuff on and I'm good for the day. Plus, it's oil-free and so it doesn't cause clogged pores and more acne. Who cares what brand it is?! It's freaking 8 dollars and works like a miracle!

7. Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm: I apply this product ridiculously throughout the day. I used to always have chapped lips and peel them till they blend but not anymore! I really try to always keep this product near me and everywhere I go because I don't like nasty looking lips. Plus, it's like a base for your lips before you apply other products so your lips will be smooth.

8. Almay Intense i-Color Eyeliner: I have this eyeliner in all the colors. It does smudge a bit if you wear it on your waterline but if you use it on your lids as an eyeliner and then put mascara on your lashes, you should be good. I love it because the colors are wonderful and each eyeliner lasts me like at least 5 months or longer, even though I use them daily. I don't really want to pay 16 dollars for an eyeliner because I think that's ridiculous. This eyeliner goes on pretty smooth and doesn't hurt your lids. It's pretty soft and smooth; it glides. Buy one and try it out. They colors are absolutely wonderful.

9. Almay Intense i-Color Eyeshadow Trio: This was one of the first eyeshadows palettes I bought and fell in love with. I still have it even though it's been two years now (yes, that's how long it lasts!). I use it with the primer I mentioned earlier, in the dry eye-lids tutorial. They really do seem to bring out my brown eye color and my roommate thinks they help her blue eyes too. They now have 8 trios to choose from and you're sure to get all the looks you need from those trios. At 8 dollars a pop, you can buy like 5 of them before you even start equaling one expensive, name-brand eyeshadow palette from some brand like Nars.

10. Sephora Brand Blush Me! Mono: I recently bought this blush because I ran out of my former free-gift Lancome blush. I didn't really know if it would look nice because I had had my eye on the Nars Orgasm blush, but I figured at 10 dollars if I didn't like it I wouldn't feel jipped. So, I've been using it and I absolutely love it because the colors are wonderful! I can't believe a blush so cheap can look so beautiful. It's definitely something I will buy again and again. Besides, ladies if you want to instantly look girly and glowy, blush is a must! Blush is one of my favorite makeup items because I feel that it instantly transforms my look from dull to bright and cute. Don't go overboard and make yourself look like a clown though, that is a major no-no and I see it around campus all the time. Too much is super unnatural and kinda weird looking. Make sure you just swipe 2-3 times per cheek at the most. 

So. . . tell me what you guys have on your makeup counter. Products you love or hate? Have you tried any of these products I listed and how do you feel? 

Love,
PK

2 comments:

  1. I personally liked some of the MAC le HK stuff. But you're right. There are some really good dupes out there for some of the stuff in that collection.

    For me, I couldn't live without liptints and conditioners. Who wants to see dry, craked, flakey lips? lol. Burt's Bees is awesome, and I love that they don't test on animals. I really like the MAC liptints because they are somewhat pigmented and have spf.

    Also, I am a huge fan of the Almay eye liners! They are the best for drugstore liner.

    As for products I hate, I can't say I have something I totally hate...I do have somethings I regret buying just because I didn't like the color on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anti-wrinkle cream? already??! seriously, you have like -3 wrinkles! anyhoo, I looove the almay eye make-up combo for brown eyes, it works great! You're doing a good job cuz, I'll need some lessons, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete